Encourage men, ages 18 to 50 to become MORE physically active for INCENTIVES & REWARDS.
Why Balance Strength and Flexibility for Men?
Research shows that half of men ages 18 to 50 don’t even have a regular source of health care. Men are more likely to develop high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer and to become dependent upon alcohol than women, yet on average men seek medical advice 20% less frequently than women.
Thus, the goal of BFS is to encourage men, ages 18 to 50 to become more active in physical activity. Physical activity is a proven method to deter chronic disease. In addition BFS through NDYFC will offer two health screening fairs over the course of the year. This initiative is grant funded by the Health Foundation of South Florida through Live Healthy Miami Gardens to North Dade Youth & Family Coalition.
1. A minimum of 60 men will graduate from the BFS Project. Participants will be considered “graduates” if at the end of the 6-month program they have attended 80% or more of the physical activity sessions offered (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8 PM). 2.
2. After a 90-day follow up 90% of participants (a minimum of 56 men) will report that they continue to meet the CDC suggested number of exercise and physical activity guidelines. CDC recommendations for physical activity for adults are defined as follows: 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week and muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days per week, or; 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity per week and muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days per week, or; an equivalent mic of moderate and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity and muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days per week.
3. Identify and recruit a minimum of 5 (five) peer leaders, men who are part of the Celebrity Dads Project and those well-known and respected through the community, to serve as Ambassadors and encourage other men’s involvement in the BFS Project. Ambassadors, program staff and other stakeholders will outreach door-to-door in zip code 33054, at City’s sports fields, barber shops and other places men congregate to encourage men and recruit men to participate in the BFS Project.
• 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week
• Muscle strengthening activities MINIUMUM TWICE per week
• Intensity aerobic activities MINIUMUM TWICE per week